Senior Software Developer – 46111
£48,353 - £78,448
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
Job Title: Senior Software Developer
Location: London, Sheffield, Birmingham, Nottingham, Glasgow
Salary Range: £58,130 – £72,760 (London), £48,353 – £66,939 (National) depending on skills and experience
Closing Date: 3rd August 2021
Interviews: w/c 9th August 2021
We’re recruiting for a Senior Developer here atMoJ Digital & Technology, to be part of our warm and collaborative HMPPS team.
You will be a member of a multidisciplinary team, write code and operate software in either our Prison or Probation service areas.
You will work with user researchers, product managers, designers, business analysts, delivery managers and content specialists who share a vision for making better government through smarter use of technology. You will innovate to radically transform public services for the better.
For more information on how HMPPS build softwareclick here
We currently have over 40 experienced developers who make up the broader engineering community. You will give coaching and mentoring to your colleagues and take part in informal support networks with your peers. The senior developer role is as much about leadership as it is delivery.
As a senior developer at MoJ you will:
- Build user-centred, open-source, RESTful web systems to serve a variety of citizen and government needs
- Be responsible for the development of large areas of projects, or small projects in their entirety
- Build automated tests to support our continuous deployment environment
- Share knowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team and community, both developers and non-developer.
- Transform government into a more agile organisation by helping to embed modern development practice.
- Help build and maintain a diverse, inclusive culture across the development community, growing awareness, inclusivity, and balance
- Occasionally participate in 2nd line support during office hours, and sometimes out of hours
- Have the potential to manage, coach and develop a small number of less experienced developers
- Help with hiring, taking part in the recruitment of other developers
To learn more about what senior developers do in government please review the DDaT Capability Framework:
Our tech stack
We rely heavily on:
- Ruby/Ruby on rails to write our services
- Circle CI for deployment
- Sentry/Prometheus for application monitoring
- Application Insights for full observability into your applications, infrastructure and network
- Elastic/Kibana for Data visualization
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule and run our service(read about ourCloud Platform)
- AWS for most of our infrastructure
- UK Design System for our web interfaces
- Macs to do all of the above
About HMPPS Digital
HMPPS Digital is a part of MOJ Digital and Technology.
Her Majesty’s Prison & Probation Service (HMPPS) is rapidly transforming and HMPPS Digital’s mission is to help rehabilitate and reduce reoffending by building world-class services that put the user first, overhauling the legacy technology that underpins our systems and making better use of data to improve our services.
HMPPS Digital has a diverse portfolio of products and services to suit a wide range of developer skills. We have a mature, in-house software development team, building services with both public and professional user interfaces, built on top of our APIs and Cloud Platform.
The product team you are placed on will be agreed closer to your start date but examples of products include:
Use of Force – A service to allow recording of Use of Force incidents.https://github.com/ministryofjustice/use-of-force
Prisoner API – An API for our prison custodial management servicehttps://github.com/ministryofjustice/prison-api
Whereabouts API – An API to manage the location of prisonershttps://github.com/ministryofjustice/whereabouts-api/
Community API – An API for accessing and updating probation datahttps://github.com/ministryofjustice/community-api
Probation Offender Search – Probation offender search via Elastic Searchhttps://github.com/ministryofjustice/probation-offender-search
For more information on how HMPPS build softwareclick here
About MoJ Digital and Technology
MOJ Digital and Technology have a clear vision – to develop a digitally-enabled justice system that works more simply for users – and we’re looking for talented people to help us achieve it.
We’re making things better by building adaptable, effective services and making systems that are simple to use for staff and citizens. It can be challenging but it’s also important and rewarding.
If this feels like an exciting challenge, something you are enthusiastic about, and want to join our team please read on and apply!
This is an MoJ Grade Ab role with a salary of £58,130 – £72,760 (London), £48,353 – £66,939 (National) depending on skills and experience plus great benefits:
- 37 hours per week and flexible working options including working from home, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours.
- We are committed to nurturing our staff and provide lots of training and development opportunities with learning platforms such as: Linux Academy, O’Reilly, Pluralsight, Microsoft Learning, Civil Service Learning, GDS Academy, etc.
- 10% dedicated time to learning and development with a budget of £1000 a year per person
- Generous civil service pension based on defined benefit scheme, with employer contributions of 26-30% depending on salary.
- 25 days leave (plus bank holidays) and 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday. 5 additional days of leave once you have reached 5 years of service.
- Compassionate maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave policies, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Wellbeing support including access to the Calm app.
- Nurturing professional and interpersonal networks including those for Careers & Childcare, Gender Equality, PROUD and
- SPIRITBike loans up to £2500 and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers and eye-care vouchers.
- 5 days volunteering paid leave.
- Free membership to BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
- Some offices may have a subsidised onsite Gym.
- Experience in backend development in Typescript/Node, Kotlin
- Evidence of mentoring, coaching or leading other developers (at work or in meetups etc)
- Evidence of experience working with modern tools and techniques
- Want to make a positive impact on the communities we serve
- Are looking for new technical and leadership challenges
- Thrive when you work as part of a team
- Enjoy learning and helping others
- Hold yourself and others to a high standard
- Solve problems in a systematic way
- Continuous learning and development
- Being inclusive, supportive, inquisitive and responsible (MoJ D&T core values)
- Working with integrity, honesty, objectivity and impartiality (Civil Service core values)
We’re happy to help you learn our tech stack once you’re part of our team.
Check out GitHub for a closer look at the technology we use. We subscribe to the manifesto for agile software development.
We welcome the unique contribution diverse applicants bring and do not discriminate on the basis of culture, ethnicity, race, nationality or national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, religion or belief, disability status, sexual orientation, educational or social background or any other factor.
Our values are Purpose, Humanity Openness and Together. Find out morehere about how we celebrate diversity and an inclusive culture in our workplace.
How to Apply
Candidates must submit an up to date CV and cover letter which describes how you meet the requirements set out in the Person Specification above.
In D&T, we recruit using a combination of theDigital, Data and Technology Capability andSuccess Profiles Frameworks. We will assess your Experience, Technical Skills and the following Behaviours during the assessment process:
- Developing self and others
- Making effective decisions
- Delivering at Pace
- Working together
Your application will be reviewed and sifted against the Person Specification above by a diverse panel.
Successful candidates who meet the required standard will then be invited to complete a tech test and if successful a 1-hour panel interview held via video conference.
Please review the following Terms & Conditions which set out the way we recruit and provide further information related to the role.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact email@example.com