Prison Onsite Support Engineer – In Cell – 48879
£30,451 - £34,105
We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
We’re recruiting for a Prison Onsite Support Engineer here at MoJ Digital & Technology, to be part of our warm and collaborative Prison Onsite Support team.
Prison Onsite Support work on-site 5 days a week, maintaining hardware and fixing technical problems as quickly as possible for prisoner and staff IT and systems.
As second line support (2LS) you will troubleshoot or escalate issues as appropriate in a timely manner ensuring clear and effective communication throughout the cycle of support, providing end-user assistance where required until the issue has been resolved. You will use administrative access to various online tools and portals, such as Azure and InTune, to request and amend access permissions for prisoner IT accounts and devices. You will use a variety of tools and products such as Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Windows 10, and Service Now, to support the request and case management processes for prisoner and staff IT.
There will be an occasional requirement to travel to a variety of sites for meetings or to provide cover for regional colleagues if necessary. A comprehensive training package and relevant development opportunities will be available.
- Support all users including prisoners and staff
- Maintain the record of devices and allocation to prisoners in the CMDB
- Reset and issue new passwords to prisoners using Azure Active Directory
- Undertake basic hardware fixes. Manage external repairs and replacements of prisoner and staff IT. Maintain useable stock of devices on site for both prisoner and staff IT
- Rebuild devices and wipe data ready for reallocation of devices to prisoners
- Install and relocate PC’s, printers and scanners, where necessary, and in conjunction with third party suppliers
- Provide training and support to site digital team using Service Now
- Advocate, train, and support site colleagues to use IT and systems effectively. Support users with best practice guidance for using their core technology tools
- Deliver technical support on applications and systems, in conjunction with third party suppliers where necessary
- Provide support and guidance to end users to improve the user experience, promoting the use of the IT Self-Help website and knowledge articles on Service Now where appropriate.
- Liaise with colleagues, utilising their expertise to solve more complex problems or re-direct to the appropriate team with specialist skills, whilst maintaining communications and regular updates to users
- Champion and support deployment and adoption of Digital and Technology projects and programmes on site
- Stakeholder engagement; build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, site staff and suppliers
- Risk management and information assurance; provide support and advice to staff to build risk awareness, report any risks identified in an appropriate way.
- Intelligent customer function; collect and manage data that represents the delivery of the team’s objectives and pro-actively seek ways to improve service
- Support departments in the prison and HMPPS Digital teams to automate and digitise manual prison processes
- Work continuously on the development of the Service Now tooling, ensuring fit for end users and required approval processes are in place and accurate. Identify improvements in conjunction with the Service Management team.
- Manage user complaints, ensuring where possible complaints are dealt with locally where feasible. Ensure complaints are logged and tracked through to completion.
- Ensure adherence to security policies by ensuring secure storage and disposal of IT related assets. Identify and investigate misuses of IT in conjunction with IT Security teams.
- Provide advice and guidance to key stakeholders in relation to local contingency planning, ensuring local business continuity plans are up-to-date and relevant.
- Meet your performance and quality objectives to ensure that the success of the overall team key performance indicators, targets and quality controls measures are met.
If this feels like an exciting challenge, something you are enthusiastic about, and want to join our team please read on and apply!
- 37 hours per week and flexible working options including working from home, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours.
- We are committed to nurturing our staff and provide lots of training and development opportunities with learning platforms such as: Linux Academy, O’Reilly, Pluralsight, Microsoft Learning, Civil Service Learning, GDS Academy, etc.
- 10% dedicated time to learning and development with a budget of £1000 a year per person
- Generous civil service pension based on defined benefit scheme, with employer contributions of 26-30% depending on salary.
- 25 days leave (plus bank holidays) and 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday. 5 additional days of leave once you have reached 5 years of service.
- Compassionate maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave policies, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Wellbeing support including access to the Calm app.
- Nurturing professional and interpersonal networks including those for Careers & Childcare, Gender Equality, PROUD and SPIRIT
- Bike loans up to £2500 and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers and eye-care vouchers.
- 5 days volunteering paid leave.
- Free membership to BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
- Some offices may have a subsidised onsite Gym.
- Meet the requirements for CTC clearance
- Previous experience of a similar support role, with a solid understanding and knowledge of Microsoft-based solutions such as Azure and Endpoint
- Experience of following defined processes with relation to change, incident and request management
- Ownership and initiative – Owns an issue until a new owner has been found or the problem has been mitigated and / or resolved
- Service reporting – Collates data from relevant sources and provides basic reporting
- Asset and configuration management – Maintains secure configuration and accurate information, controlling IT assets in one or more significant areas, and verifying location and state of assets
- Customer Service Management – experience of working within a Customer Services field
- Broad technical understanding of IT and aware of the subject matter and understands what it involves
- Detailed understanding and advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office products and modern browsers
- Good Communication (Written & Oral)
- Being a team player with the ability to work independently, be a self-starter and own customer issues through to resolution
- Experience of a working in a prison environment
- Experience of working within an ITIL based service environment
- Understanding of the government’s digital and technology transformation agenda and why the government is changing the way it undertakes and manages digital and technology projects
We welcome the unique contribution diverse applicants bring and do not discriminate on the basis of culture, ethnicity, race, nationality or national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, religion or belief, disability status, sexual orientation, educational or social background or any other factor.
Our values are Purpose, Humanity Openness and Together. Find out more here about how we celebrate diversity and an inclusive culture in our workplace.
How to Apply
Candidates must submit a CV and cover letter (up tp 750 words) which describes how you meet the requirements set out in the Person Specification above.
In D&T, we recruit using a combination of the Digital, Data and Technology CapabilityandSuccess Profiles Frameworks. We will assess your Experience, Technical Skills and the following Behaviours during the assessment process:
- Communicating & Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
Your application will be reviewed against the Person Specification above by a diverse panel.
Successful candidates who meet the required standard will then be invited to a 1-hour panel interview held via video conference.
Should we receive a high volume of applications, a pre-sift based on your experience of working in a similar support role, with a solid understanding and knowledge of Microsoft-based solutions such as Azure and Endpoint will be conducted prior to the sift.
Terms & Conditions
Please review our Terms & Conditions which set out the way we recruit and provide further information related to the role and salary arrangements.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org