Principal Agile Delivery Manager – 45021
£43,958 - £59,000
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversityhttps://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
Please note: New recruits to the Civil Service are expected to join at the band minimum, however for exceptional candidates, managers have discretion to set starting salaries above the pay range minimum by a maximum of 10%
Do you want to be part of one of the largest tech programmes in Central Government? Do you want to be empowered to be creative, curious and have your ideas listened to? We’d love to hear from you!
These are exciting times at Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). As an agency of the MoJ, we provide the supporting administration for the judiciary across England and Wales. Within that portfolio the Digital and Technology Services Transformation Programme has a clear ambition to create an organisational culture where diverse and inclusive multi-disciplinary teams bring together in-house digital, data and technology specialists to build capability, work smarter and more efficiently.
This vacancy offers a unique chance to be at the forefront of leading and assisting in implementing the future DTS organisation. The Programme is ambitious, innovative and will need a flexible workforce to deliver it. Those leading the change will experience new and exciting opportunities and will benefit from playing a part in a number of different initiatives throughout the programme.
DTS Transformation is creating a place in which it is great to do work and part of our offer is brilliant training opportunities and support from expert colleagues. As well as that you’ll find flexible working, an inclusive culture and a place where your opinion is valued.
Our Principal Delivery Managers are our agile leads and have experience working with senior leaders, stakeholders and third parties to drive agile transformations at an organisational level. They are part of digital leadership teams driving cultural and procedural change and embedding agile approaches and ways of working. With strong backgrounds as a Scrum Master or Agile Coach (or similar roles) they are focused on delivery, while supporting the creation of self-organising and high performing teams. Your CV should demonstrate your ability and experience driving agile delivery/transformations, through a solid coaching background.
As Principal Delivery Manager you will deliver end to end projects including owning service delivery for a significant function or product. You will be working closely with cross functional product teams to build delivery roadmaps. You will also be responsible for building and maintaining teams, ensuring they are motivated, collaborating and working well; identifying obstacles and helping the team to overcome them. You will have the ability to focus the team on what is most important to the delivery of products and services and encourage and facilitate continuous improvement of the delivery team.
What will you be doing?
- Lead on Agile practices that enable teams to collaborate and deliver value for HMCTS as efficiently as possible
- Drive the teams to continuously improve
- Motivate the teams, enabling them to perform their roles effectively and efficiently
- Work with key stakeholders and partner on decisions to improve processes that surround the product teams, so that delivery is as efficient and impactful as possible
- Work with the Product Managers to report team plans and progress to key stakeholders and the wider organisation
What are we looking for?
- Previous experience of working in a large digital organisation, or demonstrable understanding of large digital organisations operate in the context of this role
- Have been accountable for successful delivery of a project or workstream
- Ability and experience driving agile delivery and transformations, through a solid coaching background
- Prior team management experience having operated as a team leader managing and supporting the work of junior grades
- Ability to work with technical and business stakeholders to drive out needs and interpret between them
- The capability to be responsible for deciding direction and methodology
- Excellent facilitation and stakeholder engagement skills
- Used your knowledge to give expert advice to more senior grades
HMCTS offers a range of benefits including:
- A generous pension scheme on average of up to 22%
- 25 days leave, plus bank holidays, plus 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday
- Flexible working – whether it’s working from home or remotely, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours, we have people doing it and are happy to discuss options with you
- Access to training and development through our dedicated Capability Team including Microsoft accreditation
- Great maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Bike loans and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, and eye-care vouchers.
- Up to 5 days paid leave for voluntary work you may wish to undertake
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on ‘modernised’ terms in their current post or onto ‘unmodernised’ MoJ terms if they are on ‘unmodernised’ terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Flexible working hours
The Ministry of Justice offers a flexible working system in many offices.
The MoJ offers a range of benefits:
Annual leave is 25 days on appointment and will increase to 30 days after five years’ service.
There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The Civil Service offers a choice of pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
The Ministry of Justice is committed to staff development and offers an extensive range of training and development opportunities.
- A range of ‘Family Friendly’ policies such as opportunities to work reduced hours or job share.
- Access to flexible benefits such as voluntary benefits,retail vouchers and discounts on a range of goods and services.
- For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
- Paid paternity, adoption and maternity leave.
- Free annual sight tests for employees who use computer screens.
The opportunity to join employee-run networks that have been established to provide advice and support and to enable the views of employees from minority groups to be expressed direct to senior management. There are currently networks for employees of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, employees with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles. Should you feel that the recruitment process has breached the recruitment principles you are able to raise a formal complaint in the following order
1- To Shared Service Connected Ltd (0845 241 5358 (Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm) or e mail Mojfirstname.lastname@example.org);
2- To Ministry of Justice Resourcing (email@example.com);
3- To the Civil Service Commission (details available here)
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Grading Structure Review
The Ministry of Justice is currently undergoing a review of posts which are currently graded at Band A to realign our grading structure with the majority of the wider Civil Service.
Posts advertised at Band A may be graded at either Grade 6 or Grade 7 once the review has taken place.