Junior Security Operations Engineer – 46154
£21,170 - £30,324
We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Location: London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Nottingham & Glasgow
Salary Range: London (£26,411 – £30,324) National (£21,170 – £25,350)
Interviews: w/c 16th August
We’re recruiting for a Junior Security Operations Engineer here at MoJ Digital & Technology, to be part of our warm and collaborative Security, Privacy and Live Services team.
These are exciting times atMOJ Digital and Technology. We have a clear vision – to develop a digitally-enabled justice system that works more simply for users – and we’re looking for talented people to help us achieve it.
We’re making things better by building adaptable, effective services and making systems that are simple to use for staff and citizens. It can be challenging but it’s also important and rewarding.
As well as doing great work, we’re creating a place that’s great to do work in. We offer tip-top kit, brilliant training opportunities and support from expert colleagues. On top of that, you’ll find flexible working, an inclusive culture and a place where your opinion is valued.
As a SecOps Engineer, within our Operational Security Team (OST), you will be responsible for maintaining and continually improving the security of some of the Ministry of Justice’s key digital platforms, used by millions of people every year.
You will work with agile product delivery teams on the secure design, configuration, deployment, testing and management of applications and systems in traditional data center and cloud environments.
You will be responsible for automating common, repeatable tasks to improve the cyber security around some of our most important datasets and services.
You will ensure that vulnerability management best practice is followed and that code is developed securely, avoiding common pitfalls. You will support automated and manual security testing of our deployed infrastructure and applications, and manage the findings from these tests.
As a SecOps professional you will drive the development of new security capabilities to support delivery and ensure that the tools and approaches used are effective. This role will give you the opportunity to get hands on and build security into systems.
You will take a proactive role in securing the digital environment to ensure effective root-cause and trend analysis of security threats and issues. As part of the role you will be expected to investigate anomalous activity and support incident resolution with the service.
You will liaise effectively with interested stakeholders to ensure that lessons are learned and will communicate threats to aid continuous information assurance. You will be required to challenge and propose changes to existing processes where they do not contribute to the rapid delivery of a secure service.
- Working in close partnership with Operational Security Analysts to achieve best outcomes.
- Proactive use of available technology resources to effectively monitor against misuse.
- Working in liaison with HR and relevant business Stakeholders to provide advice, guidance and policy enforcement from a cyber Security best practice perspective.
- Investigating potentially unreasonable, malicious, or unlawful activity that could pose risk to the network and/or reputational damage to the department.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging technologies and any associated vulnerabilities and risks and how they relate to policy and acceptable use.
- Record and monitor security concerns arising from investigations and provide Management information and output findings.
- Contribute towards post investigation reports.
- Contribute key findings and results from a Cyber Security perspective.
- Acting as first line support in investigation enquiries and stakeholder engagement.
- Contribute towards information Senior Management team and input into business KPI’s
If this feels like an exciting challenge, something you are enthusiastic about, and want to join our team please read on and apply!
This is a Band D role with a salary of London (£26,411 – £30,324) National (£21,170 – £25,350) plus great benefits:
- 37 hours per week and flexible working options including working from home, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours.
- We are committed to nurturing our staff and provide lots of training and development opportunities with learning platforms such as: Linux Academy, O’Reilly, Pluralsight, Microsoft Learning, Civil Service Learning, GDS Academy, etc.
- 10% dedicated time to learning and development with a budget of £1000 a year per person
- Generous civil service pension based on defined benefit scheme, with employer contributions of 26-30% depending on salary.
- 25 days leave (plus bank holidays) and 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday. 5 additional days of leave once you have reached 5 years of service.
- Compassionate maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave policies, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Wellbeing support including access to the Calm app.
- Nurturing professional and interpersonal networks including those for Careers & Childcare, Gender Equality, PROUD and SPIRIT
- Bike loans up to £2500 and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers and eye-care vouchers.
- 5 days volunteering paid leave.
- Free membership to BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
- Some offices may have a subsidised onsite Gym.
- You will have the ability to adapt and adopt a comprehensive knowledge of relevant MoJ Cyber Security policies, HMG guidelines and other legislation e.g. the Data Protection Act.
- You will have sound, broad knowledge of Digital Technologies and an excellent understanding of how Cyber Security relates to other areas and how it impacts on business functions.
- You will have a good understanding of MS Office 365, G-Suite and other similar modern communication tools.
- You will possess strong communications, relationship building, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Experience in working collaboratively with technical and non-technical stakeholders and in communicating with them on their requirements leading into a full analysis of results.
- An understanding of infrastructure, application and cloud security.
- Two certifications from, Azure Fundamentals (AZ-900) Microsoft 365 Fundamentals (MS-900) Security Compliance & Identity Fundamentals (SC-900) Security Operations Analyst Associate (SC-200)
- Knowledge of various infrastructure platform Security, architecture, applications
- Good understanding of the various business areas in MoJ.
- Throughout the process we will assess your technical specialist skills and experience on the above requirements.
We welcome the unique contribution diverse applicants bring and do not discriminate on the basis of culture, ethnicity, race, nationality or national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, religion or belief, disability status, sexual orientation, educational or social background or any other factor.
Our values are Purpose, Humanity, Openness and Together. Find out more here about how we celebrate diversity and an inclusive culture in our workplace.
How to Apply
Candidates must submit a CV and a 500 word statement of suitability which describes how you meet the requirements set out in the Person Specification above.
In D&T, we recruit using a combination of the Digital, Data and Technology CapabilityandSuccess Profiles Frameworks. We will assess your Experience, Technical Skills and the following Behaviours during the assessment process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working together
Your application will be reviewed and sifted against the Person Specification above by a diverse panel.
Successful candidates who meet the required standard will then be invited to a 1-hour panel interview held via video conference.
Should we receive a high volume of applications, a pre-sift based on how many technical certifications you have will be conducted prior to the sift.
Please review the following Terms & Conditions which set out the way we recruit and provide further information related to the role.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org