HMP Highpoint : Skilled Delivery Gardens – 41555
£19,531 - £21,713
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
Overview of the job
This is a delivery role within an establishment requiring an appropriate trade.
The job holder will be responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the grounds and amenity areas within the estate.
This is a non-operational job with no line management or supervisory responsibilities.
Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
- Carry out soft landscaping – turf laying and hard landscaping – laying patio stones
- Maintain establishment’s grounds and amenity areas including the maintenance of lawns, ponds, water features and external grounds to the establishment including woodland
- Work inside/outside establishment grounds: cutting, mowing and maintaining areas in accordance with accepted practice
- Maintain sports fields, as per agreed plan, with both the Land based Activities Manager and PE Department
- Carry out pest control preventative measures across area of responsibility
- Undertake small project work as advised/requested: including soft and hard landscape development and erection of horticultural support structures where the situation warrants
- Maintain correct soil husbandry, ensuring all stages of crop development are followed in accordance with good horticultural practice
- Maintain the growing plant/crop to ensure optimum development and/or cropping, ensuring that the plants needs are fully met
- Provide safe access and exits to the estate
- Supervise prisoners parties and undertake quality control over their work, as agreed within the Service Delivery Agreement (SDA)
Undertake other trades tasks to:
- Ensure allocated planned maintenance and small repairs are carried out, undertaking service requests raised by computer aided facilities management system
- Undertake survey inspections in confined spaces and at height, recording all work and completing associated registers/logs
- Carry out project work as required
- Advise on sufficient levels of stock and request procurement of goods and services, and ensure all materials used are logged and are fit for purpose.
- Escort technical contractors as required, working with and supervising them in accordance with Local Security Strategy (LSS)
- Maintain regular communications via radio net in accordance with the LSS.
- Undertake the role of banksman, directing the operation of plant equipment and/or machinery
- Be responsible for all tools and plant machinery, carrying out checks at regular intervals and completing all relevant documentation in accordance with the LSS and National Security Framework (NSF)
- Comply with all Health and Safety policies, procedures and legislation to ensure statutory and mandatory compliance.
- Drive estates vehicles and operate plant equipment
- Carry out locking duties as required
- Operate within command mode in line with local contingency plans
- Undertake incidental and emergency or urgent tasks and assignments as per Service Delivery Agreement timescales, in a safe manner
- Assemble products on site as required
- Contribute to prisoner reports, including parole and sentence planning.
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation Scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh.
- Delivering at Pace
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
- Competent in relevant skill.
- Must have a Vocational Qualification at Level 3, or be willing to work towards gaining this qualification within an agreed timescale
37 hour working week (standard).
HMPPS Staff on closed pay structures only:
Additional Conditioned Hours Pensionable (ACHP)
Staff moving from a closed 39 hour pay structure will be eligible for the two protected pensionable additional committed hours (ACHP). They will work a 39 hour week consisting of the standard 37 hour week and a further 2 additional hours (ACHP) paid at plain time pensionable rate.
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s, including HMPPS, terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on ‘modernised’ terms in their current post or onto ‘unmodernised’ MoJ terms if they are on ‘unmodernised’ terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Standard working hours for this post are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
If you are a current NPS employee, this vacancy may be available on a Loan basis for up to 2 years. Applications are invited from suitable qualified staff.
The Loan/Secondment is subject to the approval of the selected candidate’s Business Unit, which should be obtained before confirmation of appointment.
-The holiday year runs from 1 March. If you work a non standard work pattern your leave entitlement may be expressed in either hours or days as appropriate. Leave entitlement is calculated on a pro-rata basis and you will be advised of your actual entitlement on appointment. If you were appointed internally and your leave was previously calculated in days, this will continue to be the case.
Bank, Public and Privilege Holidays
-You are entitled to 9 days (66 hours 36 minutes) in recognition of bank, public and privilege holidays. These hours are added to your annual leave allowance. There is a requirement to work some public and bank holidays subject to your shift pattern and the operational needs of the establishment
-The Civil Service offers a choice of two pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
Work Life Balance
HM Prison & Probation Service (HMPPS) is keen to encourage alternative working arrangements. Work life balance provides greater opportunities for staff to work more flexibly wherever managers and establishments can accommodate requests to do so. HMPPS offers flexible working subject to completion of a satisfactory probationary period and NVQ
Season Ticket Advance
-After two months’ service, you’ll be eligible to apply for a season ticket advance to purchase a quarterly or longer-period season ticket for travel between home and your place of work
For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
HMPPS is committed to staff development and offers a range of training and development opportunities, including areas such as Equality and Diversity, Dealing with Challenging Behaviour, Suicide Prevention and Anti Bullying Programmes
-There are opportunities to access promotion programmes and HMPPS provides a variety of training appropriate to individual posts
-All staff receive security and diversity training and an individual induction programme into their new roles
-All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
-All external candidates are subject to 6 months probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probationary period within HMPPS
-All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which the HMPPS considers to be racist
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
See HMPPS competency framework to learn more about the competencies we are looking for.
And you can download positive Competency writing samples for Band 2 and Band 3 applications.