Finance Officer – 38116
£21,170 - £30,324
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
HMCTS is embarking on a period of significant change which will see the organization transform over the next 5 years. Strong leadership is a critical element in this being successful. As a manager within HMCTS the jobholder must provide clear direction and focus, visibly championing the changes which deliver greater efficiencies. The HMCTS Executive Team expects managers in the organisation to operate in a culture of openness and honesty, demonstrating a commitment to change through involvement and empowerment, and by delivering results.
The HMCTS Finance, Governance and Performance function will have a pivotal role in supporting senior stakeholders and their teams through the change, with the right strategy to build the necessary organisational capability and to realise the benefits needed.
Main purpose of the role:
As a Finance Officer in HMCTS, your role will be to support the finance team in their production of the financial reporting products and management information required to enable the business to deliver timely, fit-for-purpose, efficient products and services.
You will provide effective, active and dynamic support and communications appropriate to your grade, working to achieve organisational objectives, plans and priorities with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. You will become involved in national initiatives that continue to develop the finance function with regard to delivering accounting services, improving management information and keep up to date with accounting developments as well as general Civil Service learning and development.
- You will perform the necessary tasks as required to support the HMCTS finance community on a day-to-day basis., including:
- You will create and upload journals to the accounting system, download reports and record transactions via various sub-ledgers as requested.
- You will analyse monthly spend variances to check for accuracy
- You will work with finance managers and suppliers, to ensure financial transactions are correctly accounted for.
- You will upload forecasts and budgets and assist in the regular reporting cycles, ensuring that figures uploaded to the financial systems reconcile to approved delegations.
- You will support the reporting to operational managers, as required to enable efficient use of services and promote understanding of cost drivers and deviations from budget.
- You will work with and assist Management Accounting Team colleagues on our finance transformation activity, ensuring that finance processes are delivered in the most efficient way.
- You will work in a flexible way and undertake any other duties reasonably requested by line management, which are commensurate with the grade and level of responsibility of this post.
- Desired but not essential: AAT, or equivalent, or the ability to evidence solid financial experience over time and/or in a variety of finance roles.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with stakeholders.
- Exceptional written and verbal skills.
- Adaptable and willing to review role and priorities with senior management team to meet the current and future needs of the organisation.
If you don’t currently hold an AAT qualification, you may be eligible to apply to be enrolled into a Finance Apprenticeship Scheme to support your professional development. If selected for interview, you will discuss the path to qualification in more detail.
The sift will be based on key skills and responsibilities. If you are invited to interview you will be assessed against these, your strengths and the behaviours listed below.
Changing and Improving (Level 2)
Take a positive, open approach to the possibility of change and encourage others to do the same. Give feedback on changes in a constructive manner.
Identify and act on the effects changes are having on your role and that of the team. Help others to understand changes and the reasons they are being put in place.
Look for ways to use technology to achieve efficient and effective results. Consider accessibility needs of the diverse range of end users.
Regularly review own and team’s work and take the initiative to suggest ideas to make improvements.
Making Effective Decisions (Level 2)
Take responsibility for making effective and fair decisions, in a timely manner.
Analyse and research further information to support decisions. Talk to relevant people to get advice and information when unsure how to proceed.
Explain how decisions have been reached in a clear and concise way, both verbally and in writing.
Demonstrate the consideration of all options, costs, risks and wider implications, including the diverse needs of end users and any accessibility requirements.
Managing a Quality Service (Level 2)
Work with customers to understand their needs and expectations. Clearly explain to customers what can be delivered.
Create clear plans and set priorities which meet the needs of both the customer and the business.
Keep colleagues and stakeholders fully informed of plans, possibilities and progress.
Identify common problems that affect service, report them and find possible solutions to deliver good customer service which balances quality and cost effectiveness.
Communicating and Influencing (Level 2)
Interact with others in an enthusiastic way. Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
Take time to consider the best communication channel to use for the audience, including making the best of digital resources and considering value for money.
Express ideas clearly and with respect for others. Listen to and value different ideas, views and ways of working.
Respond constructively and objectively to comments and questions. Handle challenging conversations with confidence and sensitivity.
Flexible working options
HMCTS offers a flexible working system.
Job Sharing and Reduced Hours
All applications for job sharing or reduced hours will be treated fairly and on a case by case basis in accordance with the MoJ’s flexible working policy and equality policy.
Excess Fares and Relocation Allowances
This job is not eligible for relocation allowances but excess fares may be considered in accordance with MoJ’s excess fares allowance policy.
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on ‘modernised’ terms in their current post or onto ‘unmodernised’ MoJ terms if they are on ‘unmodernised’ terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Flexible working hours
The Ministry of Justice offers a flexible working system in many offices.
The MoJ offers a range of benefits:
Annual leave is 25 days on appointment and will increase to 30 days after five years’ service.
There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The Civil Service offers a choice of pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
The Ministry of Justice is committed to staff development and offers an extensive range of training and development opportunities.
- A range of ‘Family Friendly’ policies such as opportunities to work reduced hours or job share.
- Access to flexible benefits such as voluntary benefits,retail vouchers and discounts on a range of goods and services.
- For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
- Paid paternity, adoption and maternity leave.
- Free annual sight tests for employees who use computer screens.
The opportunity to join employee-run networks that have been established to provide advice and support and to enable the views of employees from minority groups to be expressed direct to senior management. There are currently networks for employees of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, employees with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.