Digital and Technology Talent and Performance Specialist – 58379
£36,049 – £47,591
We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Digital and Technology Talent and Performance Specialist
Closing Date: 27/05/2022
Salary: £36,049 – £41,095 (National); £41,747 – £47,591 (London)
We’re recruiting for a Digital and Technology Talent and Performance Specialist here at MoJ Digital & Technology, to be part of our warm and collaborative Strategy & Operations team.
This role will report to the Capability Specialist within the Digital Capability and Engagement in Strategy and Operations. The purpose of the Capability & Engagement Team, and its individual areas, is to:
- Future proof our digital and technology workforce with high quality learning and development technologies and other capability approaches and systems, supporting MOJ’s ambition to ‘create one of the most digitally skilled populations of civil servants in the world’.
- Intervene to build incredible talent pipelines, bursting with dynamic and engaged people but all the while as diverse as the users we serve. At the heart of this approach are high end vocational qualifications with technical and business focus. Learn – apply – learn – apply is our mantra.
- Provide our people with the opportunities, tools and resources to develop their careers, using technologies that support career journeys in a highly personalized and enjoyable way.
- Enable a flourishing community of specialist communities of practice led by passionate and engaged leaders. We are comfortable in dealing with people who are expert in their specialist field and confidently apply our capability expertise.
- Set and support a standard of very high performance (using modern coaching and recognition and reward approaches) where our people are enthused to achieve even more than they thought they could whilst still enjoying good life balance.
- Support various channels to engage and communicate internally with team members and stakeholders or externally with the public to understand their needs and assist the business to respond accordingly
- Use our engagement channels to support areas in their work to drive key strategies such as Diversity & Inclusion
Organisation Design & Development:
- Support the organisation in the design and development of its structure, teams and people, and its plans to deliver business objectives
- Maintain, analyse and continuously improve people and role data to enable data-led decision making, and support Organisation Design & Development.
- Make MoJ D&T an ever-improving place to work
- Lead on the delivery and management of work to support higher performance by our people across the business that will drive stronger organisational outputs for our users.
- Connecting individual and team performance to demonstrable business outputs by:
- managing our quarterly performance management process;
- managing the delivery of learning to support that process and the skills that drive it;
- maximising the digitalisation of the process using things like automated 360 feedback tooling and by default using modern e-enabled learning approaches.
- Manage the cyclical digital and technology talent assessment process that encompasses all civil servants and centres on the MOJ nine box talent instrument, resulting in our people feeling positively engaged about the value of the process and that MOJ D&T is a good place to build their career.
- Deliver products electronically that support professional career development and build engagement that is visible in our tracker tool Peakon.
- Proactively manage the delivery of programmes around talent development such as DDaT Fast Team (acting as grade manager for the MOJ cohort), digital internships such as our Summer Diversity Intern programme focusing on diverse representation and programmes around emerging qualifications such as T Levels.
- Help us transform how we manage and build skills acquisition across our workforce, using specific tooling that will also support our career pathways and help close the gap between current and desired skills levels.
- Drive the adoption of vocational training up in the profession so that we exceed the MOJ and civil service targets around digital and other apprenticeships and build them into the career pathways of the profession. In the first instance this will entail driving our technical apprenticeships programme that will increase the gender balance in our engineering roles in 2021/22 and exceed the MOJ apprenticeship starts target.
- Support the functional areas (that relate to specific MOJ business areas) with capability building with professional processes such as training needs analysis, psychometric tooling, team dynamic development and other interventions.
If this feels like an exciting challenge, something you are enthusiastic about, and want to join our team please read on and apply!
- 37 hours per week and flexible working options including working from home, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours.
- We are committed to nurturing our staff and provide lots of training and development opportunities with learning platforms such as: Linux Academy, O’Reilly, Pluralsight, Microsoft Learning, Civil Service Learning, GDS Academy, etc.
- 10% dedicated time to learning and development with a budget of £1000 a year per person
- Generous civil service pensionbased on defined benefit scheme, with employer contributions of 26-30% depending on salary.
- 25 days leave (plus bank holidays) and 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday. 5 additional days of leave once you have reached 5 years of service.
- Compassionate maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave policies, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Wellbeing support including access to the Calm app.
- Nurturing professional and interpersonal networks including those for Careers & Childcare, Gender Equality, PROUDand SPIRIT
- Bike loans up to £2500 and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers and eye-care vouchers.
- 5 days volunteering paid leave.
- Free membership to BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
- Some offices may have a subsidised onsite Gym.
- Meet the requirementsfor BPSS clearance
- Demonstrable skills and knowledge around delivery of performance building through electronic enablement so preferable knowledge of capability assessment, 360 degree feedback, performance management products, skills frameworks, e-learning delivered via learning management systems etc. If you don’t have these specific skills but have relevant experience in a comparable situation this may be acceptable but you will need to commit to acquiring relevant skills quickly.
- Knowledge of talent building in a large organisation, preferably in a digital and technology context but other similar situations may be acceptable. Aptitude to use new technology to make the talent and career experience positive for all our people.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, you need to be able to communicate with every single one of our 1000 plus people in a way that is right and special for them. The role requires the ability to interact appropriately given the situation and the needs of the person be they a new employee or a senior leader driving digital change.
- Current knowledge and interest in building our vocational training and apprenticeship offer so that we wire it into our workforce planning arrangements and build our digital, data and technology capability base.
- Existing (or prepared to develop quickly) career development skills so that you can undertake the DDaT fast stream grade manager role effectively.
- Demonstrable experience in engaging small, medium and large audiences in an engaging and innovative way.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail – we like doing things in a way that builds trust with the people we work with.
- Excellent collaboration skills- building relationships and credibility with people at different levels
- Driven and enthusiastic
- Role modelling MoJ D&T values and behaviours
We welcome the unique contribution diverse applicants bring and do not discriminate on the basis of culture, ethnicity, race, nationality or national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, religion or belief, disability status, sexual orientation, educational or social background or any other factor.
Our values are Purpose, Humanity Openness and Together. Find out more here about how we celebrate diversity and an inclusive culture in our workplace.
How to Apply
Candidates must submit a CV and cover letter which describes how you meet the requirements set out in the Person Specification above.
In D&T, we recruit using a combination of the Digital, Data and Technology Capability and Success Profiles Frameworks. We will assess your Experience, Technical Skills and the following Behaviours during the assessment process:
- Changing & Improving
- Communicating & Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Developing Self & Others
- Working Together
Your application will be reviewed against the Person Specification above by a diverse panel.
Successful candidates who meet the required standard will then be invited to a 1-hour panel interview held via video conference.
Should we receive a high volume of applications, a pre-sift based on your knowledge of talent building in a large organisation will be conducted prior to the sift.
Terms & Conditions
Please review our Terms & Conditions which set out the way we recruit and provide further information related to the role and salary arrangements.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact email@example.com
The national salary range is £36,049 - £41,095, London salary range is £41,747 - £47,591. Your salary will be dependent on your base location