Business Support Manager – 44386
£31,924 - £36,715
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
HMPPS Co-Financing (CFO) requires a Business Support Manager to support managing the current CFO 3 project, and the CFO Activity Hubs project which commenced 1st March 2021.
This post reports to the Quality Assurance Manager (*not to the Lead Business Manager as stated below in the JD overview, as the reporting structure for this role has changed*) and the post holder will be responsible for the Quality Assurance of the European Social Funded (ESF) projects. The project structure for this role will consist of a Service Desk Manager, Support Manager and Service Desk Officers.
Applicants applying for a Business Support Manager role will be presented with new challenges varying in scope and complexity. The role requires the ability to work at pace, comprehend a large amount of information and ability to demonstrate this internally and externally through presentations, Q&A sessions and written policy documentation. We are looking for a proactive, forward thinking and strategic individual with excellent problem solving capabilities and strong leadership qualities.
Interaction with the following applications will be frequent; Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Working at Daresbury Park, Warrington offers excellent links to both Liverpool, Manchester and Cheshire by car (with free parking on site), with the office next to the M56, Junction 11. There are good rail links to Runcorn and Warrington from Liverpool and Manchester. Offering flexible working hours (with time off in lieu) and a generous holiday allowance included as standard.
If you have any further queries regarding this vacancy, please contact the CFO Admin team for assistance: CFO-Admin@justice.gov.uk
Overview of the job
HMPPS Co-Financing Programme is a large-scale national employability programme working across all Prisons, National Probation Service (NPS) and Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRCs). The joint funding structure of the programme necessitates dual governance arrangements to satisfy requirements of both HMPPS and the European Union (EU). The programme combines activity, funding and governance across all programme delivery areas for HMPPS and as such the post holder requires detailed knowledge of and effective links to the majority of departments across HMPPS, Youth Justice Board and MoJ. The EU element requires the post holder to have effective links to policymakers and delivery agencies across DWP, Department of Health, Skills Funding Agency and local authorities. The post holder will be responsible for implementing a Quality Management System (QMS) across the project ensuring that both HMPPS CFO and Provider contracts conform to these principles to limit risks around currently approximately £260 million of Contracts and Match Funding.
To work 100% on ESF funded projects.
The Post falls under Headquarters, and is located at Daresbury Park, Warrington. In addition, the role has a national remit and there is an expectation of travel across all CFO contract areas in England (9).
Role will require SC Clearance once in post.
The job holder reports to the CFO Lead Business Manager and through them to the Head of HMPPS CFO.
The role will have Line management responsibilities for a range of Quality, Service Desk and Training department staff consisting of:
This is a non-operational role.
Support SMT in implementing an internal QMS system across HMPPS CFO which conforms to ISO 9001:2015.
The job holder is responsible for ensuring the quality and programme integrity of all delivery on the HMPPS CFO programme through the leadership and management of the Quality and Service Desk Departments. This includes ensuring adherence to all ESF rules and regulations as compliance is audited by both ESF and external Audit organisations.
Build on the relationship with each Prime Provider QMS Manager to ensure a full QMS system is operated across Provider and their supply chain to limit risk and financial penalty at Audit.
Detail and report on quality performance, exceptions and risk to the HMPPS CFO SMT.
The Business Support Manager will develop effective working relationships with local Performance and Contract Management teams and with Providers in relation to the audit and assurance of contract delivery in their area. They will represent the QA Team in their designated Area, liaising with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including: CRC Managers, Governors, and HMI Prisons and will deputise for the Lead Business Manager as required.
Define and design CATS+ functionality that will support and enhance QA and audit requirements, working with the developer, change manager and other stakeholders to ensure designs contain specified criteria.
Test and assure design changes to the CATS+ System to ensure full compliance to approved functionality improvements.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
• Requires an in-depth, comprehensive and specialist knowledge of the rules and regulations surrounding external funds, especially those associated with the European Social Fund.
• The design, development and subsequent implementation of a Quality Management system to meet the requirements and criteria of ISO 9001 standards, to support HMPPS CFO in the delivery of strategic business objectives. This includes leading on the development, implementation and auditing of systems ensuring they operate efficiently and are fit for purpose.
• Manage the quality assurance processes for HMPPS CFO and produce MI reports to ensure the SMT are confident in the processes to limit financial risk.
• In conjunction with Lead Business Manager, to lead the co-ordination, planning and delivery of QMS across Contracted Providers working in custodial and community settings.
• Setting up and conducting programme of Audits across Providers and Sub contract supply chain for the length of the CFO project.
• Setting up Training programme to ensure consistency across Providers around Quality of Evidence submitted for Outcome payments (PBR)
• Quality of evidence submitted to support Match funding contracts used on the project.
• Setting up and conducting Internal Audits on all MA (ESF) Claims both ESF Contract / Admin spend and Match funding contracts before claims are submitted to MA
• Work with Lead Business manager to build CATS+ CFO Audit functionality to enable Auditing on all approved PBR / DAF submission and have MA (ESF) Audit functionality
• Identify stakeholders, and hold preliminary meetings to understand their QA and audit requirements for CATS+ – looking to improve functionality where possible.
• Define and design CATS+ functionality that will support and enhance QA and audit requirements, working with the developer, change manager and other stakeholders to ensure designs contain specified criteria.
• Draw concept screen designs and process maps, and represent them at formal governance meetings, such as the complex RFC change meeting, the CATS+ Change Board, and departmental meetings – recommending a change road map where possible
• Ensure documentation provides enough supporting information to justify business-changing decisions to CATS+ System, and maintains an audit trail of functional requirements and business drivers
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation Scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
• Managing a Quality Service
• Communicating and Influencing
• Working Together
• Changing and Improving
• Making Effective Decisions
• Developing Self and Others
• Sound judgement, and good communication and analytical skills.
• Ability to influence and negotiate with stakeholders at a management level in a complex and multi layered delivery landscape.
• Practical ability to achieve demanding objectives.
• Able to demonstrate experience of performance management, experience of problem solving skills including analytical, evaluative and outcome focused techniques, and the ability to maintain information and administrative systems including databases, experience of quality systems and implementing quality improvement initiatives.
• In-depth knowledge and practical experience of ESF Rules and regulations across England and/or Wales.
• Experience of compliance managing multi million pound external contracts.
• Quality Management experience across ESF Funded projects.
• Experience of working to ISO 9001 Standards.
• Experience of project and programme management techniques and management of major programmes or projects.
• Experience of working in the prison service or a comparable operational environment (e.g. within the criminal justice system or involving delivery of offender/public services), at management level.
• In-depth operational knowledge of NPS/CRC and/or prison service delivery.
• Knowledge of contract and performance management and/or service development and commissioning of community based offender services.
• Knowledge and understanding of policy and operational practice in relation to the delivery of offender services in the community and ‘Through the Gate’, and the relevant legislative frameworks.
• Experience and skills in relation to audit and/or assurance activity.
• Experience and skills in relation to analysing and implementing findings from inspections and audits.
• An understanding of the challenges involved in assuring the delivery of large complicated commercial contracts, and experience of assessing the performance of complex services.
• Project management experience and skills.
• Experience in using CATS+ System.
• Qualified Internal Auditor.
National Security Clearance at SC level will be required to be gained once in post.
Additional Criteria for Interview:
Applicants that progress will be offered an interview which will require a pre-interview online Assessment to be completed, which will help form the basis of the interview. Once CFO receive confirmation that the interview has been booked, applicants will receive an email detailing the web link for the pre-interview online Assessment to be completed.
Interview dates TBC. Virtual interviews will be held by VC if it is not possible/safe to conduct interviews at the Daresbury Park office. Applicants that make it past the sift stage will be invited to interview and notified of interview arrangements in due course. If face to face interviews are held on site, applicants should bring with them the relevant ID/Right To Work/Proof of address documentation (originals not copies) for inspection/verification on the day. If virtual interviews are held, applicants should have their relevant ID/RTW/Proof of address documentation ready for inspection/verification at the start of the interview
If you have any further queries regarding the interview process, please contact the CFO Admin team for assistance: CFO-Admin@justice.gov.uk
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s, including HMPPS, terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on ‘modernised’ terms in their current post or onto ‘unmodernised’ MoJ terms if they are on ‘unmodernised’ terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Standard working hours for this post are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
If you are a current NPS employee, this vacancy may be available on a Loan basis for up to 2 years. Applications are invited from suitable qualified staff.
The Loan/Secondment is subject to the approval of the selected candidate’s Business Unit, which should be obtained before confirmation of appointment.
-The holiday year runs from 1 March. If you work a non standard work pattern your leave entitlement may be expressed in either hours or days as appropriate. Leave entitlement is calculated on a pro-rata basis and you will be advised of your actual entitlement on appointment. If you were appointed internally and your leave was previously calculated in days, this will continue to be the case.
Bank, Public and Privilege Holidays
You are entitled to 9 days (66 hours 36 minutes) in recognition of bank, public and privilege holidays. These hours are added to your annual leave allowance. There is a requirement to work some public and bank holidays subject to your shift pattern and the operational needs of the establishment
-The Civil Service offers a choice of two pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
Work Life Balance
-HM Prison & Probation Service (HMPPS) is keen to encourage alternative working arrangements. Work life balance provides greater opportunities for staff to work more flexibly wherever managers and establishments can accommodate requests to do so. HMPPS offers flexible working subject to completion of a satisfactory probationary period and NVQ
Season Ticket Advance
-After two months’ service, you’ll be eligible to apply for a season ticket advance to purchase a quarterly or longer-period season ticket for travel between home and your place of work
For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
-HMPPS is committed to staff development and offers a range of training and development opportunities, including areas such as Equality and Diversity, Dealing with Challenging Behaviour, Suicide Prevention and Anti Bullying Programmes
-There are opportunities to access promotion programmes and HMPPS provide a variety of training appropriate to individual posts
-All staff receive security and diversity training and an individual induction programme into their new roles
-All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
-All external candidates are subject to 6 months probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probationary period within HMPPS
-All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which HMPPS considers to be racist
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.