Automation Test Engineer – 43470
£24,002 - £38,373
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
Please note: New recruits to the Civil Service are expected to join at the band minimum, however for exceptional candidates, managers have discretion to set starting salaries above the pay range minimum by a maximum of 10%
These are exciting times at Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). As an agency of the MoJ, we provide the supporting administration for the judiciary across England and Wales. Within that portfolio the Digital and Technology Services Transformation Programme (DTS) has a clear ambition to create an organisational culture where diverse and inclusive multi-disciplinary teams bring together in-house digital, data and technology specialists to build capability, work smarter and more efficiently.
We support, manage and develop digital services, making sure they are working, legislatively compliant and fit-for purpose. We work closely with HMCTS operational teams, MoJ Digi/Tech and external suppliers to support the business through an understanding of user needs and business requirements. We also manage the IT service provided by MoJ DigiTech (computers, printers, network access) and ensure that HMCTS gets maximum value from its investment in IT.
As a Test Engineer you will be responsible for writing, debugging and refactoring test code. You will work closely with our software developers to reach a common understanding of the code base and test coverage at unit level. You will collaborate with analysts to make sure the required business scenarios are covered in the acceptance and test scripts. You will also work on both functional and non-functional areas of an application. coach and mentor testers.
The Squad you are placed on will be agreed closer to your start date, but examples of products can be found in our GitHub repositories:
We rely heavily on
- JMeter for load tests
- Selenium/Web Driver for end to end testing
- Fiddler, Burp and Developer Tools to analyse packets
- SOAP UI for API inspection
- Jenkins for deployment
- Dynatrace for application monitoring
- Azure for most of our infrastructure
- Postgres and Redis as our databases.
- GOV.UK Design System for our web interfaces
- Macs to do all of the above
- In addition, we use a range of other technologies and continue to evolve by employing new technologies that help us deliver better services to our users
We’re happy to help you learn our tech stack once you’re part of our team.
What will you be doing?
- Understand business processes and activities that impact and that are impacted by the project and systems you are working on. Develop extensive knowledge in the functionality of the systems you are working on.
- Writing, amending and refactoring code to build simple programs/scripts under direction. Documenting code written and adhering to internal software development standards/processes/procedures.
- Work with others to use security controls to design and build secure products. Handle information with confidentiality and integrity, work with stakeholders and SMEs to ensure compliance and information assurance.
- Participate in product support and carry out agreed infrastructure maintenance tasks. Assist in troubleshooting and identifying faults using modern tools. Some activities may be outside the core office hours (in-line with the organisation’s policy for OOH).
- Contribute to planning by estimating your own effort. Practice the agreed methodology and seek advice on how to apply it to your work
- Review requirements, specifications and define test conditions for both functional and non-functional requirements. Write and execute manual and automated test scripts.
- Maintain full traceability of defects, tests and requirements, Report issues found through the appropriate channels.
- Analyse the test results to identify simple patterns and trends. Investigate problems and opportunities in existing functionality of the software, translate findings into impact on the users and the business.
What are we looking for?
- Demonstrable knowledge of business domains and/or systems you tested
- A proven track record in defining and implementation of test tooling, test environments and test data required for all phases of testing. Good understanding of test types and concepts
- Experience in writing automated testing programs/scripts, ideally in our core technology stack
- Experience in load testing tools
- Knowledge of REST web services and API inspection tools
- Awareness of packet analysers
- Experience in using bug tracking software
- Show where you have identified issues and risks associated with work whilst being able to analyse and report test activities and results
- Have been exposed to the application of Agile principles in practice
- Some experience in design and execution of non-functional test cases in a range of environments
- A strong understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle
What can we offer you?
- Agenerous pension scheme on average of up to 22%
- 25 days leave, plus 8 bank holidays, plus 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday
- Flexible working; whether it’s working from home or remotely, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours, we have people doing it and are happy to discuss options with you
- Great maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Bike loans and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, and eye-care vouchers.
- Up to 5 days paid leave per year for voluntary work you may wish to undertake
- We also currently have employee-run networks for colleagues of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, those with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees with which you will eligible to join
We are passionate about career development and in order to help support this, we offer a number of training and development platforms that employees will have access to. Working with your manager, you will be given the support and time required to complete agreed courses, as part of your personal development plan.
- Pluralsight – Over 7000 video training courses created by over 1400 subject-matter experts, covering a wide range of software development related skills.
- Microsoft Enterprise Skills Initiative – a range of Azure focused courses that can lead to Microsoft Certification.
- Civil Service Learning – a wide variety of online training to help support your role as a Civil Servant
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on ‘modernised’ terms in their current post or onto ‘unmodernised’ MoJ terms if they are on ‘unmodernised’ terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Flexible working hours
The Ministry of Justice offers a flexible working system in many offices.
The MoJ offers a range of benefits:
Annual leave is 25 days on appointment and will increase to 30 days after five years’ service.
There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The Civil Service offers a choice of pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
The Ministry of Justice is committed to staff development and offers an extensive range of training and development opportunities.
- A range of ‘Family Friendly’ policies such as opportunities to work reduced hours or job share.
- Access to flexible benefits such as voluntary benefits,retail vouchers and discounts on a range of goods and services.
- For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
- Paid paternity, adoption and maternity leave.
- Free annual sight tests for employees who use computer screens.
The opportunity to join employee-run networks that have been established to provide advice and support and to enable the views of employees from minority groups to be expressed direct to senior management. There are currently networks for employees of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, employees with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles. Should you feel that the recruitment process has breached the recruitment principles you are able to raise a formal complaint in the following order
1- To Shared Service Connected Ltd (0845 241 5358 (Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm) or e mail Mojemail@example.com);
2- To Ministry of Justice Resourcing (firstname.lastname@example.org);
3- To the Civil Service Commission (details available here)
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Grading Structure Review
The Ministry of Justice is currently undergoing a review of posts which are currently graded at Band A to realign our grading structure with the majority of the wider Civil Service.
Posts advertised at Band A may be graded at either Grade 6 or Grade 7 once the review has taken place.