Assistant Commercial Manager – 45653
£24,002 - £31,973
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
About the Role
The Ministry of Justice
The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) serves the public by upholding the rule of law, and by delivering an efficient, fair, timely and effective justice system in which the public has confidence.
- We enforce the decisions of the court: we punish offenders and work to reduce reoffending. We prevent victims by changing lives.
- In partnership with an independent judiciary, we run the courts and tribunals service, helping individuals, businesses and families resolve their disputes.
- We protect vulnerable members of society and children, and help to ensure victims of crime get justice.
- We provide legal aid and advice for those cases where it is justified.
- We develop policy on all aspects of law and justice, both domestically and internationally, helping to build a legal and rights framework that is clear and proportionate and that commands confidence around the world.
The Ministry of Justice is a major government department, at the heart of the justice system. Responsible for courts, prisons and probation services, we work to ensure sentences are served and offenders are given rehabilitation opportunities to become law-abiding citizens.
The Commercial and Contract Management Directorate (CCMD) manages over 1000 active contracts and spends £3.5bn a year and is crucial to the successful delivery of prison and court reform programmes. It provides procurement and contract management activities across a wide range of categories, ensuring value for money agreements are in place for wider MoJ staff to source goods and services from.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Commercial Manager to join our People Services category team in Leeds. The People Services Team sits within Core Goods and Services and our contracts cover all of the MoJ and its ALBs. This team manages a range of contracts which are all people facing these services including:
- Recruitment Service
- Occupational Health
- Employee Benefits
- Learning and Development
- Staff Relocation
As an Assistant Commercial Manager you will support the team and the Commercial Manager to deliver procurement and contract management activities to achieve commercial outcomes across the business. Working within a fast-paced environment, you will bring excellent communication and organisational skills to ensure contracts are working effectively, and stakeholder relationships are managed appropriately. The category involves working with a wide and diverse set of stakeholders and suppliers and covers some really unique and niche requirements.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Commercial Manager to join our Financial Services category team in Leeds. The Financial Services Team sits within the ALB Business Partnering and Core Services Team and our contracts cover all of the MoJ and its ALBs. This team manages a range of Bronze, Silver and Gold contracts which are all financial based services including:
- Claims & Compensation
- Payment Acceptance Solutions
- Payment Card Solutions
- Other Financial Services
As an Assistant Commercial Manager you will support the team to deliver procurement and contract management activities to achieve commercial outcomes across the business key responsibilities will be:-
- Ownership of contract and performance management, driving commercial opportunities to deliver value for money and/or savings
- Assisting pre-procurement and sourcing activity including requirements definition, strategy development, market engagement and producing the invitation to tender pack
- Drafting procurement documents, including contract variations and change requests
- Analysing market, spend and performance data and presenting this to support commercial activity and reporting requirements
- Stakeholder engagement and strong relationship building to define requirements, develop, implement and manage procurement and contract management strategies
- Delivery of continuous improvement to drive best practice
- Assist theCommercial Manager in the resolution of disputes, obtaining and managing input from operational colleagues and others as directed (e.g. Legal)
- Complying with governance, legislative and policy requirements as appropriate
- Responding to Freedom of Information requests and Parliamentary Questions
Working within a fast-paced environment, you will bring excellent communication and organisational and analytical skills to ensure contracts are working effectively, and stakeholder relationships are managed appropriately. The category involves working with a wide and diverse set of stakeholders and suppliers and covers some really unique and niche requirements.
Successful applicants may not be expected to work from the office everyday (awaiting further guidance and subject to change).
- A proven track record of procuring and/or managing contracts in a similar commercial environment
- Experienced in managing relationships and communications with stakeholders
- Awareness of public sector procurement legislation
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Application of public sector procurement legislation in a central government setting
- Experience of eProcurement portals, Bravo (Jaggear), Oracle systems or similar
- CIPS level 4/or equivalent, or a willingness to work towards gaining qualification
- A range of ‘Family Friendly’ policies such as opportunities to work reduced hours or job share.
- Access to flexible benefits such as voluntary benefits, retail vouchers and discounts on a range of goods and services.
- For moves to or from another employer or moves across the Civil Service this can have implications on your eligibility to carry on claiming childcare vouchers. You may however be eligible for alternative government childcare support schemes, including Tax Free Childcare. More information can be found on GOV.UK or Childcare Choices. You can determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/.
- Paid paternity, adoption and maternity leave.
- Free annual sight tests for employees who use computer screens.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles. Should you feel that the recruitment process has breached the recruitment principles you are able to raise a formal complaint in the following order
1- To Shared Service Connected Ltd (0845 241 5358 (Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm) or e mail Mojemail@example.com);
2- To Ministry of Justice Resourcing (firstname.lastname@example.org);
3- To the Civil Service Commission (details available here)
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As a Disability Confident employer, MoJ are committed to providing everyone with the opportunity to demonstrate their skills, talent and abilities, by making adjustments throughout all elements of the recruitment process and in the workplace. MoJ are able to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum selection criteria, except in a limited number of campaigns.
You will be able to request reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process within the application form. If you need additional help completing the application form, please contact the SSCL Recruitment Enquiries Team.
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on ‘modernised’ terms in their current post or onto ‘unmodernised’ MoJ terms if they are on ‘unmodernised’ terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Flexible working hours
The Ministry of Justice offers a flexible working system in many offices.
The MoJ offers a range of benefits:
Annual leave is 25 days on appointment and will increase to 30 days after five years’ service.
There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The Civil Service offers a choice of pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
The Ministry of Justice is committed to staff development and offers an extensive range of training and development opportunities.
The opportunity to join employee-run networks that have been established to provide advice and support and to enable the views of employees from minority groups to be expressed direct to senior management. There are currently networks for employees of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, employees with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.
Grading Structure Review
The Ministry of Justice is currently undergoing a review of posts which are currently graded at Band A to realign our grading structure with the majority of the wider Civil Service.
Posts advertised at Band A may be graded at either Grade 6 or Grade 7 once the review has taken place.